for the Personal Ayahuasca Experience
realization is the core element in the Ayahuasca experience. Ayahuasca
is a medicine. Holistic purification and cleansing of body, mind, and spirit
in shamanic ceremony with Ayahuasca can initiate a lifelong process of
rebirth and transformation. To be successful, this process requires long-term
personal commitment, integrity, compassion, and courage. It is not an easy
path, but it can be highly beneficial for those who undertake it with sincerity,
determination, and an open heart.”
near Iquitos, Perú
aspect of seriously focused work with Ayahuasca is a special diet serving
to cleanse and prepare the body, mind, and spirit to open widely to the
positive healing energy of Mother Ayahuasca. There is considerable
variation in details of the diet as practiced in the Peruvian Amazon by
many vegetalistas and curanderos. Therefore these comments should
be understood to reflect the general commonalities of “la dieta” and not
construed to be absolute in all details.
Most maestros recommend that one commence the diet at least three days before the first
Ayahuasca ceremony and continue for two or three days after the last.Alcohol and pork should be abstained longer since they may have undesirable consequences
when combined with Ayahuasca.Commonly shared characteristics of most vegetalista diets include abstinence from
alcohol, sugar, salt, oils, pork, fat, and spices. These substances
may interfere with one’s sensitivity and uptake of Ayahuasca so they are
limited or abstained to heighten one’s receptivity to the medicine.
Abstinence from sexual orgasm is also an integral part of this diet.
This is an important required for two reasons. First sexual abstinence
conserves vital energy needed to engage the challenges Ayahuasca sometimes
poses. Secondly temporary sexual abstinence from sexual activity and thoughts
allows one to focus on the more profoundly spiritual dimensions of one’s
being.It is said in the Amazon that Ayahuasca has a jealous spirit. This is a culture-bound
concept which often seems strange to the western mind. How
could a plant considered sacred also be jealous? One has to step
outside the usual human concept of jealousy to understand what is meant
by this. It simply means that the conscious spirit of Ayahuasca desires
our undivided attention when in Her presence. Temporary sexual abstinence
might also be seen as an offering of one’s higher intention to the Divine.
Human sexuality is a dynamic aspect of the human nature and spiritual experience,
and it often blossoms beautifully after work with Ayahuasca. This
is especially so if this aspect of the diet is respected. Everything
in the diet is a choice, and one answers only to themselves and the medicine
in whatever decision they make.Pork is considered to be impure because of what pigs eat, and is not eaten by diligent
Ayahuasca practitioners. Complete abstinence from pork and lard for at
least two weeks prior to the first ceremony is strongly recommended
and should continue for two weeks after the last ceremony.In the Peruvian
Amazon, the most rigorous shamanic diet consists of small scaly fishes
boiled with rice, plantains and yuca (manioc). No salt, sugar, oil,
ají (hot chili) or sexual activity is allowed during weeks or months
of jungle isolation from the outside world. This is the diet undertaken
by apprentices hoping to become shamans. It is difficult even for seasoned
jungle people, and few succeed in keeping to it for more than a few weeks.
The social and sexual segregation required is the primary reason so few
diet for long periods. It is not necessary to enter this demanding dietary
regimen to undertake personal cleansing and spiritual transformation with
Ayahuasca under the guidance of shamanic healers (curanderos).
In the initiatory
diet for those seeking personal cleansing and healing, the diet is not
as rigorous and may include light seasoning, fish, chicken, fruits and
cleansing benefits and visionary experiences are greatly enriched by a
commitment to the diet, for such reflects your personal INTENT, which is
the most important personal factor in work with Ayahuasca.
for more detailed information about food and pharmaceutical precautions
in preparation for the Ayahuasca experience.
NOTE: In reviewing this information from the U.S. Poison Control
Center, be aware it is written by medical authorities as precautionary
measures for those taking pharmaceutical monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
These generally pose greater risk from dietary or substance interactions
than does Ayahuasca which is considered to be a mild monoamine oxidase
and serotonin re-uptake inhibitor.
- Abstinence from sexual stimulation and orgasm is a traditional aspect of the Ayahuasca
- diet. This does not imply long-term celibacy but reflects the benefits
- of conserving dynamic sexual energy for investment in the rigors of cleansing,
- healing, catharsis and rebirth. This temporary abstinence also enables
- one to focus more purely on the powerful spiritual, intellectual, and curative
- dimensions of the Ayahuasca experience. Actually, Ayahuasca enhances
- human sexuality in many ways. Were it not for this temporary abstinence,
- it would be very easy to lapse into a purely sexual orientation which would
- greatly interfere with the far more profound aspects of the medicine.
- There is a good reason for all aspects of Ayahuasca tradition which has
- evolved over countless generations. It is presumptive and arrogant
- to believe that westerners can discover Ayahuasca and in a few years do
- it better than people of the Amazon have done it for hundreds or even thousands
- of years. For this reason we respect the old traditions and honor
- the wisdom of the ancients.
- Manyh Amazonian
- curanderos believe the spirit of Ayahuasca to be ‘jealous’ of human sexuality
- during communion with her. This simply means that she may withhold her
- deeper blessings if one does not demonstrate respect and commitment by
- focusing their whole essential energy on her. They also believe that ethereal
- spirits are intrigued by corporeal human sexuality and are more attracted
- to those radiating unspent sexual energy, thus empowering one’s connection
- with the healing spirits.
- We urge
- abstinence from sexual activity for at least three days prior to the first
- ceremony continuing for three days after the last ceremony. Too quick a
- return to normal sexual activity can diminish the power and duration of
- the positive benefits of Ayahuasca. It is a small price to pay for potentially
- enormous lasting benefits.
- of focus from spiritual cleansing and healing to sexuality is detrimental
- to personal goals in working with Ayahuasca and may be disturbing to others
- in attendance.
- work with Ayahuasca requires focus, will, and self-control to achieve the
- desired results.
- When the
- diet ends, one is free to pursue a healthy sex life according to their
- nature, often with new meaning and vitality.
- cycle: In the old indigenous traditions,
- women in the flow of their menstrual cycle were not permitted to drink
- Ayahuasca. This is an ancient prescription rooted in safety considerations
- rather than sexism. It is believed that consumption of Ayahuasca by a woman
- in menses can cause excessive blood flow, though discomforts are rare.
- there is a special “sealing” icaro which can be performed to seal and protect
- a woman so there is no discomfort or undue risk. If you are coming
- from afar to work with Ayahuasca, don’t be concerned if your period should
- start while you are here. There are mitigative measures that can
- be taken to assure your safety and confidence.
ceremonial atmosphere is relaxed, congenial, supportive, focused and reverent.
The mood is pleasant and positive, not grim or heavy. We cultivate
a sense of warm fellowship, shared experience, personal inner exploration,
healing, transformation, and renewal.
In the beginning
one may experience a little apprehension, anxiety or fear of the unknown,
but this will pass. There really is no need for fear. You will
feel protected, loved, and cared for within our sacred circle. There is
security and comfort in knowing everyone present beforehand and feeling
trust and confidence in those who will help guide your inner journeys.
We will assure your protection, safety and well-being no matter what circumstances
is not required in traditional shamanic practice, but light colors are
most conducive to positive spiritual healing and to the diagnostic vision
of the curanderos.
very dark colors interfere with the curanderos’ ability to visualize and
diagnose causes of illness.
light jacket or blanket, a cushion or pillow, long sleeves and pants, a
small flashlight (not to be used in the ceremonial space), and a small
bottle of water to rinse your mouth as needed. You will likely feel cold
at some time during the ceremonies and warm at other times, so it is good
to have a way to respond without too much physical activity.
and sharing is welcome before and after the ceremony. However
when the ceremony commences, conversation should cease and attention be
focused on the work of the curanderos and your own focus of intention.
Attention in the ceremony should be focused on the icaros
and mariris, magical healing songs sung by the curandero as they summon
the healing spirits and move the energy in the ceremonial journey.
another person in ceremony unless invited to do so. Physical touching
can interfere with the deep inner processes which may be difficult to re-enter.
Touching for reassurance or affection is acceptable only when requested
mind that everything that happens in an Ayahuasca ceremony influences everyone
else present in some way. Talking, excessive movement, and other
sounds may be extremely distracting to others present and greatly interfere
in their personal work. The best way to assure that everyone has
equal space is to tune in to the icaros andwork of the curandero and remain
as quiet and still as possible throughout the ceremony. If
one needs to leave the ceremonial space to go to the bathroom or to their
room, then our ceremonial aides are summoned to lend assistance.
Cleansing to Visionary Healing
- In the,
- particularly for those drinking Ayahuasca for the first time, we focus
- primarily on purging and cleansing the physical body in preparation for
- the next level of emerging consciousness and deep healing. Vomiting and
- brief diarrhea are common effects during early sessions. Some are gifted
- with powerful visions during their first drinks, but most receive only
- fleeting glimpses of what is to come later. Quite a few people experience
- few or no visionary effects the first time they drink Ayahuasca.
- The presence of spiritual entities is, however, often realized.
ceremony often dwells more in the psychological
and emotional levels of Self. One may experience vivid, highly detailed
recollections of family, emotions, memories of happy and sad moments, and
an emerging comprehension of their place and purpose in life, community,
planet, and universe. Flashes of color and light may be witnessed with
rapidly changing visual impressions, often trivial, as the mind is cleared
of clutter in preparation for the awakening and rebirth which is to follow.
The presence of benevolent spirits is evident, and lucid visions are often
It is in
the third and subsequent ceremonies
that many people realize the existence of the spiritual realm in a most
profound and personal way. The meaning and mission of one’s life is often
clarified. Incredibly rich and detailed visions may be received, often
conveying information and knowledge of great personal significance.
experience soul flight through space and time to near or distant places,
across town, to another country, or journeying through the cosmos to observe
or communicate with life in other galaxies and other dimensions, and on
to God and Goddess.
when one is ready, the three shamanic worlds are revealed. Spirit protectors
and doctors present themselves and one begins the first step toward becoming
a teacher, perhaps even a healer…if they can find ethical purity, strength
and determination. Every individual is compelled to their personal connection
with Spirit through whatever means they find positive and fulfilling.
Personal healing of physical, mental, emotional or spiritual afflictions
often is initiated at this level.
It is important
to understand that the effects and procession of Ayahuasca are neither
fixed nor absolutely predictable, and vary significantly from one person
to another and in the same person from one ceremony to another. Some
move quickly through the initial stages to the visionary states while others
arrive more slowly. Patience is a major virtue in working with Ayahuasca,
and demands are virtually never met.
perseverence, and grace, successful realization of one’s personal intention
and life goals can always be realized, and we will provide every assistance
to help you achieve you personal healing and spiritual quest.
on it goes …“Ayahuasca
taken as a holistic medicine in a positive ceremonial setting under competent
administration and guidance,
the beginning of a process of personal and spiritual discovery which will
continue indefinitely, even if one never drinks again.”
- Otorongo Blanco, 1995
- La selva
- near Iquitos, Perú
Medical precautions and food and drug precautions
for those considering holistic cleansing or healing treatment with Ayahuasca.
therapeutic applications of Ayahuasca…
Touch Choque Chinchay to send e-mail with your questions about shamanic cleansing, healing and transformative experiences with Peruvian SpiritQuest. You can contact us by telephone in Iquitos, Perú at (011-51-065) 600-178or 600-179 for more information about our offerings. We look forward to hearing from you.